When creativity strikes I like to rush out to Spotlight and buy cute material with grand plans of turning into a sartorial work of art. Then I leave the material in a bag for a week or two and sit on the couch, throwing it a guilty glance every now and then.
Then I wait until it’s late at night, around 11.30pm, and that’s usually when I decide to bite the bullet and undertake the minor task of making a Halter Top. Easy!
For this Gingham Halter Top I very loosely followed some instructions from the same book I got my Christmas skirt pattern from, “DIY Couture” by Rosie Martin. They were instructions on how to make a “Goddess Dress” which I may come back to one day, but I changed the bottom from a skirt to a tight fitting top. I figured that the halter piece would attach to the bodice-top in the same way it would to the bottom of a dress. So I had guidelines for making the halter but when it came to the bodice, I was out on my own.
I figured that basically all it involved was having two pieces of material, one for the bodice of the top and one for the halter/breast area. Easy! Until, of course, I cut the bodice part too small and had to recut a piece of material (lucky I always buy too much). And easy until I had to make the back of it button up.
Initially the bodice was a straight piece of material but trial and error led me to making a few pleats in the front right at my sides, which then acted as a guide for where to attach the halter/breast piece. This gave the bodice a much nicer body hugging shape. It still doesn’t fit as well as I would like and I may tweak it a little when I get an idea on how to make it work. P.S. Next time I’m sewing I need Tim Gunn to come and tell me that face to face.
Making the back button up was a little trickier. Only because I hold the title of “Worst Buttonhole Maker in the World”. I just won the championships with this beauty. I have embarrassingly included a photo of a buttonhole. And it’s not even the worst one of the four. Once again I implore everyone to ignore my buttonholes and just hope that one day I’ll get better at it.
The halter part was quite easy. I hemmed in the two sides of the single strip of material and then I pinched in sections of the material to make some little pleats. The book promised that pleating the halter would make it shapely and flattering and they weren’t wrong. I think I do need to bring it in a little because I measured myself while wearing a bra and the halter top can’t be worn with a bra, so it’s a little loose at the front, but that’s nothing a tiny stitch won’t fix.
I’m pretty happy with the top. It’s a little 50s-esque bombshell of a thing and that’s exactly what I wanted it to be. It does require a couple of tiny fixes but they will be quick and easy. I may even make another skirt in a similar style to the Christmas skirt so I have a completely homemade outfit fit for a summery afternoon tea in the garden.
Kirby in Dreamland
Extras: I used buttons that I found in my sewing box.
Time: 3 hours
Difficulty: (2/5) – only because of the logistics for making the top actually fit
Satisfaction / Pride Level: (4/5) – If I could give it 4 Lolita-Heart-Sunglasses out of 5 I would.